25 June 2010

Inspired

Today was the Opening Ceremony for DCTF, and it was truly inspirational. There was a presentation on what the achievement gap looks like in DC, and while many of my colleagues seemed to be discouraged by the information I saw this as even more confirmation that I am needed and that I can truly make a difference. The chancellor for DCPS spoke about her experiences as a first year teacher, as well as her hope for the school district. In DC people either love Chancellor Rhee or they hate her...I am one of the people that love her, so I was excited to see her. Let me take a moment to note that though I love her and what she is doing for the school system I dont always love the decisions she has had to make, but I cant say that I could a better job than she is doing, so I trust her process.

In addition to the Opening Ceremony, we were given the opportunity to participate in a mini hiring fair. I was able to interview with one school that is looking for Early Childhood Educators. This interview went great. I have had 2 good interviews, which makes me feel good about getting a placement soon.

The first 2 days of DCTF have left me so excited to have made the decision to join. I know these next 6 weeks will be rigorous and stressful, but also necessary to prepare me for what I will face in the fall. I'm definitely beginning to realize that my experience in the classroom will be truly advantageous when it comes to teaching summer school. I fortunately am not sharing the same anxiousness about this whole process that many of the people in my cohort are experiencing. I am also excited to have an established friendship and brotherhood with another Fellow being as though my Prophyte is also in my Cohort.

All in all this has been a great start!

-Ace of Rambles

No comments:

Post a Comment