26 February 2010

Shacking Up--Living in Sin or Smart Planning?

I've been working on this post for awhile now as I am in the process of apartment hunting with my boyfriend, and it seems that I have quite a few friends who are getting ready to move in with their significant others or recently have done so. Today I posted on my Facebook status-[Ace of Rambles] wants YOUR opinion--Is it considered 'shacking-up' if you're engaged? And does 'shacking-up' even matter these days? The responses came in...and quickly. There were a variety of responses, but mainly fell into these categories-
  1. Shacking up is sin.
  2. Living together before being getting married is bad idea.
  3. Living together before getting married is a good idea, but shouldn't be done for a long period of time.
I can definitely see all three sides (and there are probably more) to the argument. I spent the better part of my childhood witness to my mother living with a man that she wasnt married to, and for the most part to this day I still refer to him as my step-father though his relationship with my mother has dissolved. I personally don't think them choosing to live together before getting married was what caused their relationship to end, but I'd have to ask my mother and him to be totally sure. I have also seen living together prior to being married bring two people closer together, as well as the couple maturing together and individually. I have a friend who was dating someone for 3 years before they lived together. They lived together for a year and she knew that she was not ready yet to make that commitment. They took another year apart and now they're back together and they feel things couldn't be better.

A different friend of mine expressed that her reasoning for not wanting to live with someone prior to marriage is because she likes her own space. I feel that someone who claims to enjoy their personal space so much would be more likely to take a trial run at living together before getting married. What happens when you think you are ready to be married, you get married, and the 2 months after living together you realize that marriage is so NOT in your life plan, and that you value your personal space much more than you realized?


I echo the sentiments of one of the responses on my status--"I believe in trial runs...I don't agree with livin together for years and years before marriage.if that's the case just call it common law and never actually go to the courthouse.but I do believe its necessary for ppl to know how they'll truly interact with each other once they're personal space is taken away. Spendin the night is not gon give u the full effect. Spendin a couple months with each other def will....I use my friend as an ex. She and her bf were together for 2 years and they were thinkin bout marriage...lived together for 6 months and decided they just weren't ready for that step.sometimes u gotta know where he keeps the ketchup...in the cabinet or in the fridge.lol" Many people think that spending the night with your significant other will give you idea of how it will be to live together, but I disagree because when you spend the night you ALWAYS have the option of going home when you want your own space.
I obviously fall into the 3rd category. I believe that living with my boyfriend will be good for us. It is something we've discussed extensively and share they same philosophy. We both agree that moving in together is the next step in our relationship, but more importantly we both know it isn't something we will be doing for an extensive period of time without walking down the aisle. Before we ever started dating he made it VERY clear that the next woman he got into a relationship with would the last.

Our decision to live together was just that our decision. I'm not concerned with whether or not people agree because we are doing what we think is good for US.


What are your thoughts?

-Ace of Rambles

1 comment:

  1. omg! I love following you! and after this, I will fb you my number so you can text me! But anywhoo, I was having the same problem. my boyfriend that I have been with for a year and I are discussing plans on getting married...one of the first things that was said was that maybe we should wait and move in together first, both of us disagreed, and several ppl were mad, but like you said, at the end of the day, it was OUR decision to make. Of course we took everyone else's opinion into account, but we made the finally decisions. But we decided to wait until we were married to move in together because we feared that we would get too comfortable with each other, and just keep putting it off. almost like, after you graduate, you take a year before going to grad school, but than you get a good job, and you are living nicely and everything is going right, so why go to grad school, its not like you HAVE to....and we didnt want to get into that position, because although we hate to admit it, we both are the type of people to get comfortable on a level and want to stay there, esp if we are living good! lol....but I love love LOVE this blog! I love YOUR whole blog actually! lol...and congrats! I hope yall find a nice and comfty place! Ttyl!

    ReplyDelete