07 January 2010

Are You Freaking Kidding Me?!?!?

So in the light of news headlines from yesterday that made me say, "Are you freaking kidding me?!?!" I have decided to title this blog the same....and discuss said articles.

First up, Use of word Negro on 2010 census forms raises memories of Jim Crow--NY Daily News. This may be the HBCU in me, but get the heck outta here!! I definitely don't use words that were used to describe my ancestors when they were thought of as 3/5 of a human. I identify with being of African decent and American decent. Thus, I am African-American. Census Bureau spokesman Jack Martin said the use of "Negro" was intended as a term of inclusion. "Many older African-Americans identified themselves that way, and many still do," he said. "Those who identify themselves as Negroes need to be included."
Many African Americans (or Black people) still consider and call themselves the N word, but does that mean it is appropriate for the Census? I think not...way to go Congress for approving this nonsense *eye roll* Oh, and here is the actual form.

Next, Sandra Bullock is nominated for a NAACP Image Award for her role in 'The Blind Side'. Not that I dont like Sandra Bullock's work, but the purpose of NAACP Image Awards is to celebrate "outstanding achievements and performances of people of color in the arts as well as those individuals or groups who promote social justice." In a time where African American actresses still struggle to get leading roles in movie and television, let alone be nominated for their work, I think that nomination should have gone to a different actress. I guess Beyonce's role in 'Obsessed' wasnt good enough...lol

Thirdly, Chris Henry's Fiancee won't be charged. I can't say that I am surprised though. When I was discussing this incident with some friends I was trying to explain to them that if the police can't prove that she acted unlawful (i.e. driving over the speed limit) then they would not be able to charge her. (Shout out to my Legal Communications degree and B+ in Business Law...lol). The people I was having my discussion with believe that if the genders were switched then Chris Henry would have been charged. I disagree, and my argument would still be the same. If there isn't proof of illegal activity, then he/she shouldn't be charged.

Lastly, Arenas suspended indefinitely--ESPN.com Did Gilbert not learn anything from Plaxico Burress?? SMH But no seriously, what in the world made Arenas think bringing a gun into the arena would be a good idea? All I can do is wish Gilbert luck because DC has some of the most serious gun laws in the nation.

There were MANY more things in the news yesterday I could blog about, but these were the top four. Stay tuned for the next edition of Are You Freaking Kidding Me?!?! :-)

-Ace of Rambles

No comments:

Post a Comment