12 January 2010

Rude Awakening

As some one who has earned a degree in Communication and Culture I thought that I was a VERY effective communicator. I received a rude awakening today. I was perusing some articles on communication and realized that I do a lot of things that are defined as ineffective communication. I have become one of those people that sees the faults in others and not in his/herself....*hangs head*

According to Dr. Phil Rich (no not the Dr. Phil you're thinking) ineffective communication consists of one or more the following elements:
yellow arrow Indirect (doesn't get to the point, never clearly states purpose or intention)
yellow arrow Passive (timid and reserved)
yellow arrow Antagonistic (angry, aggressive, or hostile tone)
yellow arrow Cryptic (underlying message or purpose is obscured and requires interpretation)
yellow arrow Hidden (true agenda is never stated directly)
yellow arrow Non-verbal (meaning is communicated through body language and behaviors, not words)
yellow arrow One way (more talk than listening)
yellow arrow Unresponsive (little interest in the perspective or needs of the other person)
yellow arrow Off base (responses and needs of the other person are misunderstood and misinterpreted)
yellow arrow Dishonest (dishonest statements are substituted for true feelings, thoughts, and needs)
I will say that I am an effective communicator in some aspects of my life, but not in others. Consequently, in the relationships that I need to be the most effective is where I am suffering the most. I have no problem communicating with those I have a less intimate relationship with. With those people closest to me I struggle, and maybe it because I fear upsetting them, losing them, being judged by them. etc. This isn't something I am proud of, but it is something I am working on.

Thank God for introspection and the reminder that EFFECTIVE communication is:
yellow arrow Direct (to-the-point, leaving no doubt as to meaning or purpose)
yellow arrow Assertive (not afraid to state what is wanted or why)
yellow arrow Congenial (affable and friendly)
yellow arrow Clear (underlying issues are clear)
yellow arrow Open (no intentionally hidden messages or meaning)
yellow arrow Verbal (words are used to clearly express ideas)
yellow arrow Two way (equal amounts of talking and listening)
yellow arrow Responsive (attention paid to the needs and perspective of the other person)
yellow arrow On Track (correctly interprets responses and need of the other person)
yellow arrow Honest (true feelings, thoughts, and needs are stated

-Ace of Rambles

2 comments:

  1. I struggle between Assertive and Antagonistic. UGH, to be a successful black man in this world.... it's a thin line indeed.

    ReplyDelete