04 January 2010

Mz. Independent???

So, as I stated in my last post I recently re-injured a foot that I previously had sprained, and because of this the doctor has put me on crutches for 1 to 3 weeks. This means I have to depend more on other people to help me get around. I'm not completely excited by this...or very comfortable. My boyfriend has been very attentive today and I appreciate all he has done, but having to ask him to do simple things (i.e. get me a cup of water, heat up my food, hand me the remote) because it is really difficult or painful for me to do myself makes me uncomfortable...kinda. A part of me is saying that I shouldn't feel uncomfortable asking the man I see my future with for help, but the other part is saying that having to ask him makes me feel like I'm giving up independence, which is SCARY!

I think anytime that I HAVE to have someone do something for me scares me. Asking people for help is something that really has a physical effect on me. My stomach gets all tied up and my heart races. I don't know if the anxiety comes from them rejecting me or them having this power over me that now I owe them something....maybe it's a combination of both. I don't usually get this feeling with simple tasks like the ones I describe above, but often times with tasks that hold more stake or can be seen as more bothersome...like a ride somewhere or borrowing $5.

I heard somewhere that a truly strong person knows how and when to ask for help. I cant say that I completely agree with this statement. I don't think of myself as a weak person overall though I may struggle with certain aspects of life. But who doesn't? I think that as a young adult (who often has been called spoiled...but that's another blog for another day) I have tried to truly stand on my own more and more over the last few years. And my standing on my own has truly affected all aspects of my life. I'm not the lioness hear me roar type of woman that will push a man out of the way to open my own door, but I am the type of woman that likes for my man to know I can bring just as much as he can to the table.

Independence? That's middle class blasphemy. We are all dependent on one another, every soul of us on earth.--George Bernard Shaw

There is no such thing as being too independent.--Victoria Billings

Soooooo, which quote holds more truth??

-Ace of Rambles

No comments:

Post a Comment